Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the system requirements for Crimson?
- Does Crimson work on the iPad?
- Which languages does Crimson support for Predictive Typing?
- Which keyboard layouts does Crimson support?
- How do I switch between languages?
- How many dictionaries can I install at a time?
- How do I install Crimson?
- How do I uninstall Crimson?
- How do I enable Full Access?
- What is Full Access and why does Crimson ask for it?
- Why are click sounds not working?
- How do I switch my keyboard to Crimson?
- Does Crimson support spelling correction?
- Does Crimson support keyboard shortcuts?
- What happens when I pick a different tint color?
- How do I enable the dark mode?
- Crimson doesn't work as expected or crashes. What do I do?
What are the system requirements for Crimson?
You need an iPhone or iPod touch device running iOS 8 or above.
Does Crimson work on the iPad?
While not officially supported yet, the iPhone version of Crimson can be installed on iPad. You will notice that it is surprisingly workable, but not fully optimized yet.
Which languages does Crimson support for Predictive Typing?
Danish, Dutch, English (UK), English (US), Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Spanish and Swedish.
To use a language other than English (US), Full Access must be enabled. More languages will be added in the future.
Which keyboard layouts does Crimson support?
Danish, Dutch, English (Canada), English (UK), English (US), Finnish, French (France), French (Canada), French (Switzerland), German (Germany), German (Switzerland), Italian, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Spanish and Swedish.
QWERTY, QWERTZ and AZERTY layouts can be selected based on the selected language. More layouts will be added in the future.
How do I switch between languages?
If you have multiple dictionaries installed, Crimson will switch automatically when it detects you've started writing in another language.
How many dictionaries can I install at a time?
This depends on your device:
- iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus: 3
- iPhone 5, 5s, 5c, iPod touch: 2
- iPhone 4S: 1
How do I install Crimson?
After downloading Crimson from the App Store, open the Settings app and go to General > Keyboard > Keyboards. Tap Add New Keyboard..., then tap Crimson. Proceed to enable Full Access.
How do I uninstall Crimson?
You can uninstall Crimson by simply deleting the Crimson app on your homescreen. To do so, tap and hold the Crimson icon, tap the X-button in the corner of the app icon and confirm.
How do I enable Full Access?
In the Keyboards section of the Settings app, tap Crimson – Crimson, switch the Enable Full Access toggle on and tap Allow.
What is Full Access and why does Crimson ask for it?
In order to synchronize preferences from our app to the keyboard extension and get access to system functions like sounds, Crimson needs Full Access enabled. This is a limitation introduced by Apple to protect user privacy.
When enabling Full Access, the standard dialog window will warn you that keystrokes might be transmitted over the internet, but Crimson will never do this. This dialog shows the same message for every keyboard, regardless of the actual internet functionality it uses. Crimson’s Predictive Typing feature uses a local database of dictionaries in various languages to provide suggestions.
Therefore enabling Full Access is optional, but when disabled we’re unable to save preferences (like the dictionaries or theme you want to use) and some features (like click sounds) will not work.
Why are click sounds not working?
Make sure you have Full Access enabled and the Sounds setting toggled on in the Crimson app.
How do I switch my keyboard to Crimson?
After installing Crimson, tap the globe key when in a keyboard to cycle through your keyboards. Alternatively, you can tap and hold the globe key and select Crimson to switch. You can recognize Crimson by the predictions above keys.
Does Crimson support spelling correction?
Yes. Instead of unsolicited auto corrections, Crimson suggests corrections above keys. Just like predictions, swipe up corrections displayed in red to insert them. If you prefer automatic correction, set the Correction setting in the Crimson app to Automatic.
Does Crimson support keyboard shortcuts?
Yes. If you have Personal Dictionary and Include System Suggestions enabled in the Crimson app and Full Access enabled in the system settings, you can type a shortcut you defined in the system settings and it will automatically be replaced when you tap space. Make sure you type a shortcut exactly like defined.
What happens when I pick a different tint color?
The tint color affects the color of submit buttons, the accent selection when holding a letter and the keyboard letters themselves when you touch them.
How do I enable the dark mode?
This happens automatically based on the current context, for example in Spotlight. This allows developers to pick a dark keyboard when they intend to. If you alwayvs want to use dark mode, set the Dark Mode setting in the Crimson app to Forced.
Crimson doesn't work as expected or crashes. What do I do?
These are potential fixes for your problem:
- Update your device to the latest software.
- Update Crimson to the latest version.
- In the Keyboards section of the Settings app, tap Edit and drag Crimson to the top of the list. Then tap Done. This will make it the default keyboard.
- Close the app that you're trying to type in. To do this, double press the home button and swipe up the app's screen. If you're in Spotlight or quick reply, restart your device.
- Disable Full Access for Crimson. Then re-enable Full Access.
- Uninstall and install the dictionaries you want to use.
- Reboot your device.
- Reinstall Crimson.